All four of Mysuru family die after LPG leaks

The police said Kumaraswamy hailed from Chikkamagaluru district and the family had migrated to Mysuru around 35 years ago.
Kumaraswamy, Manjula, Swathi, Archana
Kumaraswamy, Manjula, Swathi, Archana

MYSURU: All four members of a family asphyxiated to death after an LPG cylinder leaked at their home at Yaraganahalli on the outskirts of the city on Monday night.

The police said Kumaraswamy (45), his wife Manjula (39) and their daughters Archana (19), an MCom student at Teresian College, and Swathi (17), a BCom student at Vani Vilas Urs College at Nazarbad, died in the incident. They were found dead at their house on Dr Rajkumar Road.

The family had attended a relative’s wedding at Sakharayapatna in Kadur of Chikkamagaluru district last week and had returned to Mysuru on Sunday night. It is suspected that they might have died on Monday night after the family had dinner and slept.

As the family members were not responding to calls for the last two days, their relatives Vignesh and Bharath visited the house on Wednesday morning. The duo knocked on the door and when there was no response, they peeped through the window and saw the bodies lying on the floor. He immediately alerted the neighbours and police.

City Police Commissioner Ramesh Banoth and DCP (Law and Order) M Muthuraj visited the spot along with a dog squad and forensic experts. The bodies were shifted to JSS Hospital. A case was registered with the Alanahalli police.

During the preliminary investigation, the police found that the carbon monoxide leak from the LPG cylinder had caused the deaths as the house was poorly ventilated.

The police said Kumaraswamy hailed from Chikkamagaluru district and the family had migrated to Mysuru around 35 years ago. The couple were involved in the laundry service business.

Kumaraswamy’s sister Veenakshi said that as nobody responded to her phone calls from Tuesday, she informed her relatives to visit the house.

“There was no dispute in the family. They had returned to Mysuru on Sunday night after attending a relative’s marriage at Sakharayapatna. The police say the incident happened due to a gas leak,” she said.

Banoth said that as the family members were not answering phone calls and had not come out of the house, family members and neighbours visited the house and found them lying on the floor of the house.

“While the bodies of Kumaraswamy and his wife Manjula were found on the floor in the room, the girls were lying dead in the hall. We found three domestic gas cylinders inside the house and one of them had leaked. The remaining two were empty. Only after the postmortem, the exact cause of death can be ascertained,” he said.

Related Stories

No stories found.

X
The New Indian Express
www.newindianexpress.com