STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Fire consumes shopping mall

Published: 04th September 2012 01:08 PM  |   Last Updated: 04th September 2012 01:08 PM   |  A+A-

fire-E

The mall that had burnt down in the fire mishap.

A shopping complex, a private bus and three motor bikes were gutted in a major fire that broke out at Nilamel near here in the wee hours of Monday. Though no causalities were reported in the incident the losses have been estimated between Rs 2 crore and Rs 3 crore.

Meanwhile, a major tragedy was averted as the fire did not spread to the petrol bunk adjacent to the shopping complex, thanks to the prompt intervention of the Fire and Rescue Services and Police personnel.

Extent of damage could have been unimaginable if the fire had spread to the petrol bunk of Hindustan Petroleum which had a stock of 8,500 litres underground petrol at the pump. The fire which broke out in the ground floor of the Fouzy Shopping Complex around 3.30 am, which houses a super market, along the MC Road near Nilamel junction, is suspected to have been triggered by a short circuit.

The Chadayamangalam Police said that they received a call around 3.45 am. The newspaper distributors were the first to notice the fire and smoke emanating from the shopping complex.

The fire fighters from nearby Kadakkal Fire Station were immediately pressed into service.
Meanwhile, the fire spread to the private bus (owned by Triveni Motors) and three motor bikes parked at the petrol bunk. Luckily the fire did not spread to the 8,500 litre petrol tank, the valve of which was near the gutted bus.

Another empty petrol tanker parked nearby was immediately moved to safety. The traffic along the MC Road came to a halt for over 3 hours as a result of the fire. Fire fighters took around four hours to douse the fire and 10 fire tenders from various fire stations in Kollam and Thiruvananathapuram districts were pressed into service.

The fire was brought under control by 6.30 a.m.and was extinguished by 8.30 am.

The Chadayamanagalam Police have registered a case on the basis of the statement made by the owner of the shopping complex Nasarudheen of Nilamel. The exact damage is yet to be ascertained, while the Chadayamanagalam Police estimates a damage of around Rs 2 crore. Police said that according to the owner of the shopping complex, the loss is nearly Rs 2.45 crore.

The Electrical Inspector of the Kerala State Electricity Board conducted inspection at the gutted shopping complex on Monday afternoon. Police said that the service wires from the electric posts near the complex were burnt and initial evidence point that fire was triggered by short circuit.

Stay up to date on all the latest Kerala news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp