STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Govt to Go in Appeal against HC Verdict on Plus-II Issue

Published: 21st August 2014 06:00 AM  |   Last Updated: 21st August 2014 03:03 AM   |  A+A-

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The State Cabinet on Wednesday decided that the State Government should  go in appeal against Monday’s High Court verdict striking down the additional Plus Two batches and schools sanctioned by the government, without the recommendation of the HSE Director.  The Cabinet also decided to continue with the admission in the newly-sanctioned schools and batches which can function as per the High Court verdict.

At the post-cabinet press briefing, Chief minister Oommen Chandy said majority of the schools sanctioned by the government as per the cabinet sub-committee report would be able to conduct admission this year only. The government will try to convince the court that additional batches and schools were sanctioned on a need-based criteria only.

“There are doubts about the schools where admission can be done this year. Hence the government has decided to continue admission procedures to schools and batches which can function as per the HC order.

The Higher Secondary director has been directed to bring out the list of schools eligible for conducting admission and publish it on the website on Wednesday itself,” the Chief Minister said. Terming as baseless the reports that the High Court verdict was a major setback to the government, he said that it was an interim order only. The government will try to convince the court the reasons behind sanctioning additional schools and batches.

The High Court had earlier said that sanction should be given to schools following which the government sanctioned new schools and batches on a need-based approach.

It was based on the High Court order and considering the number of applications that the government sanctioned new schools. Some of them were not in the Higher Secondary director’s list. The court said it could not understand the need for sanctioning additional batches and schools. In the appeal, the government will try to substantiate its stand on new batches and schools.

Plea to be Filed Today

Meanwhile, the Advocate-General’s office said that appeal will be filed on Thursday.

Stay up to date on all the latest Kerala news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp