Two persons died and 19 others fell ill after consuming country spirit in Borigan village under Banapur block.
Villagers on Friday night had consumed the liquor bought from a vendor in their village. Soon after, they complained of health complications. As condition of one Dunia Naik (35) worsened, he was admitted to Banpur hospital but he died within a few hours. His younger brother Bulu Naik (28), who had also consumed the liquor, was shifted to a private hospital in Bhubaneswar where he succumbed on Tuesday.
As the information reached the village, 19 others who had consumed the liquor were shifted to MKCG MCH. Sources in the hospital said condition of three of them is critical. One among them, Babu Lenka, has reportedly lost his eyesight.
A local Naresh Lenka said the villagers had consumed country sprit (CS) which was bought from Angarugaon at `40 per pouch.
When villagers were taken ill, others checked the pouches which mentioned the manufacturing year as 2005. A complaint has been lodged at Banpur police station.