STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Maoists on Strategy Mode to Regain West Odisha Hold

Under pressure from the intense combing operations by security forces, the Maoists are chalking out new strategies to regain their lost ground.

Published: 16th July 2014 08:58 AM  |   Last Updated: 16th July 2014 09:01 AM   |  A+A-

SAMBALPUR: Under pressure from the intense combing operations by the security forces, the Maoists are chalking out new strategies to regain their lost ground in Western Odisha.

Following an exchange of fire between security forces and Maoists at Landakote and Tampersingha reserve forest intersection on April 2 and 3, combing operation was intensified in border areas of Sambalpur, Deogarh, Angul and Boudh districts.

Since then, the Maoists are on the run and have split into small groups to hoodwink security forces. They have slipped into deep forest on the border which is a convenient way to change sides.

When it was believed that the Maoists had been driven away from Sambalpur district, the interception of an auto-rickshaw by Rairakhol police and seizure of supplies meant for the Red rebels hiding in Talab village under Kisinda police limits on June 14 established the fact that the Left ultras are trying to regroup and regain their lost ground. In the incident, police had arrested five persons engaged in supplying materials to the Maoists.

Well placed sources said the Maoists are desperately trying to recruit local youths to boost their number. Although they have failed in their recruitment plan, they are preparing to raise funds to strengthen the outfit.

According to sources, Maoist leader Anmol Kujur alias Hembram alias Samarji alias Surya, who was second in hierarchy after Kishenji, sneaked into Sambalpur via Deogarh from Saranda forest in Jharkhand on June 10. He was accompanied by 50 to 60 armed Maoists including female cadres. It is this group which was involved in the exchange of fire with security forces, said the sources.

While a group of Maoists headed by Kunu Dehuri is holed up in forest areas bordering Sambalpur and Deogarh districts, another group led by Anmol has split into small groups with an eye to extort money for the outfit. It is also learnt that Maoists’ old hand Badal alias Shankar Majhi, who was active in Sambalpur, along with Kunu Dehuri has moved to Balangir.

Under the circumstances, the police and security forces face a major challenge to clamp down on the Maoists.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp