BHUBANESWAR:The first swine flu casualty of the state this year was reported on Sunday, when a 42-year old resident of Khurda died at the isolation ward of SCB Medical College and Hospital, Cuttack.
Aditya Narayan Jena, the patient, was admitted to a private hospital in Bhubaneswar since January 29 and he was tested positive on Saturday. As his condition deteriorated, he was rushed to Cuttack on Sunday morning. He was put on ventilator support and a team of doctors attended him. However, Jena succumbed to death.
Health Secretary Arti Ahuja said, Jena did not have a travel history but he may have come in contact with someone carrying the virus which has a gestation period of seven days. The 42-year-old also had a medical history of acute diabetes.
“People who were in close contact with the deceased have been given prophylactic doses. Besides, the Health Department would also find out everyone he had come in contact with during the gestation period so as to provide them preventive cover,” she said. Four cases of swine flu were reported so far this year, out of which, three were cured.
Though Jena did not have a travel history, the Department said that the infection may not have been locally prevalent. “Somebody who had travelled may have come in contact with him. We have found large number of cases in Delhi, Rajasthan, Hyderabad and Tamil Nadu where people have travelled and those who came in contact carried it,” she said.
In another case reported earlier last month, a person who had gone to Uttar Pradesh carried the virus from there, the secretary said.
Interestingly, of the four cases detected so far, three have been reported from
Khurda alone. However, Ahuja said there is no reason for panic as the Department is ready to tackle the cases. Advisories have been issued to the government hospitals in all 30 districts as well as to private hospitals.
A detailed protocol has been circulated among private hospitals on setting up of isolation wards and provision for preventive treatment.