SALEPUR: A 15-year-old boy was electrocuted at Govindpur village in Chahapada gram panchayat under Mahanga police limits on Thursday. Police said the boy, Bidyadhar Jena alias Dhanda of Adhanga village in Pallisahi gram panchayat, was a student of Class X of Panchayat High School at Hatapada in Osanga gram panchayat of Mahanga block.
As the school was closed, he was offered work by one Pravat Kumar Sethy, a businessman who supplies goods used in marriage parties. Pravat assured Bidyadhar to pay him well at the end of the day. Subsequently, he took the boy to a wedding at Govindpur on Wednesday night. After the ceremony, Pravat asked Bidyadhar to disconnect power connection to a stand fan and when the latter was doing so, he was electrocuted. Pravat rushed the boy to Mahanga Community Health Centre and after doctors declared him brought dead, he fled from the spot.
As the news reached Adhanga, locals staged an agitation demanding adequate compensation for the family of the deceased and stringent action against Pravat, who is absconding. A case has been registered.