BHUBANESWAR: Property worth `50 lakh was gutted after a massive fire broke out in a medical store near Acharya Vihar square here on Friday morning. The incident came to light after thick black smoke started coming out from the shop at around 6 am.
Locals informed the manager of Om Pharma medical store who alerted the Fire Services personnel. It took more than one hour for two fire engines to douse the flames. While the reason behind the incident is yet to be ascertained, proprietor of Om Pharma Biswaranjan Sahoo suspected a foul play.
He said locks of the front grill and shutter were broken. Besides, it was found that the CCTV cameras installed on shop premises, instead of facing to the front, were turned towards the back. This could be the handiwork of miscreants who set the shop on fire to avoid identification, he said.
The miscreants made away with the digital video recorder, CCTV’s computer, its hard disks and some cash, said Sahoo who has lodged a complaint with Sahid Nagar police in this connection.
Fire services personnel have also ruled out the possibility of an electrical short circuit. Prima facie, it appears that the fire started from the rear part of the shop, a member of the fire-fighting team said.
DCP Satyabrata Bhoi said footages of CCTV cameras in the locality will be thoroughly examined. An FIR has been lodged and the matter is being investigated.