OCPL Funds to Meet OPGC Fuel Needs

Published: 22nd April 2016 05:02 AM  |   Last Updated: 22nd April 2016 05:02 AM   |  A+A-

BHUBANESWAR: The Odisha Coal and Power Limited (OCPL), a joint venture (JV) of two State-owned companies - Odisha Power Generation Company (OPGC) and Odisha Hydro Power Corporation (OHPC) - will invest about Rs 2000 crore for development of two coal blocks to cater to the fuel requirement of OPGC’s expansion projects.

The newly-formed OCPL will develop and operate Manoharpur and Dip-side of Manoharpur coal blocks in Sudargarh district allocated to it by the Ministry of Coal under PSU dispensation route on August 31, 2015.

Coal will be produced initially from Manoharpur block with rated capacity of eight MT per annum. The capacity will be further enhanced to 15 MT per annum when units 5 and 6 of OPGC become operational. Coal from these two mines can meet the fuel requirement of 4X660 MW expansion power project of Ib Thermal Power Station (ITPS) at Banharpali in Jharsuguda district.

The total reserve of these two coal blocks is 531 MT (Manoharpur coal block-181 MT and Dip-side Manoharpur coal block-350 MT).

The third and fourth units of ITPS are already under implementation with an estimated cost of Rs 11,547 crore. 

A tripartite agreement was signed by the three shareholders here on Thursday in presence of Minister of State for Energy Pranab Prakash Das and and Energy Secretary Rajesh Verma. While OPGC has a stake of 51 per cent, the remaining 49 per cent is with OHPC.

The JV company plans to start the mine operation by April, 2019 in accordance with stipulations of efficiency parameters of allotment agreement signed with nominated authority. Most of the clearances and regulatory approvals are in place for the project, Verma said.

While the authorised equity of OCPL is Rs 100 crore, the company plans to raise a loan of Rs 1500 crore and the equity participation of the shareholders will to be to the tune of Rs 500 crore for project development, said a senior officer of the Energy Department.

“I appreciate the efforts and speed in which all the necessary statutory approvals and clearances for development of the coal blocks have been obtained and land acquisition for the mining lease area progressed,” the Minister said.

Incorporated as a wholly-owned subsidiary of OPGC on January 20, 2015, OCPL will have seven directors in the Board - four from OPGC and three from OHPC. Energy Secretary is the Chairman of the company.

The signatories to the shareholders agreement were OPGC Managing Director Indranil Dutta, OHPC Director (Finance) Bijaya Kumar Behera and Chairman-cum Managing Director, GRIDCO and OPCL Director Hemant Sharma.

Stay up to date on all the latest Odisha news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp