STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

NFSA mess alleged in Tureikela

Published: 03rd October 2016 03:50 AM  |   Last Updated: 03rd October 2016 05:55 AM   |  A+A-

Express News Service

BHUBANESWAR: As the Mahanadi river water dispute and Polavaram issue dominated the proceedings of the Assembly in the monsoon session which concluded on September 29, several issues including large-scale irregularities in implementation of National Food Security Act (NFSA) could not be taken up for discussion.

Though Tureikela block in Kantabanji Assembly constituency of Balangir district is one of the most backward areas of the State, implementation of NFSA in the block has not been up to the mark as majority of the beneficiaries are yet to get ration cards.

Former Congress MLA from Kantabanji Santosh Singh Saluja alleged that beneficiaries of Jharni gram panchayat in Tureikela block have not received any foodgrains under NFSA for four months from April. Saluja said 901 card holders of the GP have not received 135.16 quintals of rice and 8.59 quintals of wheat for four months.

Besides, Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) card holders of the GP have not received 34 quintals of rice during the four months. The former Congress MLA alleged that corrupt officials misappropriated 400 quintals of foodgrains meant for beneficiaries of one of the most backward block. But MLAs and MPs of the district, majority of whom are from the ruling BJD, have not raised the issue in any forum so far.

Saluja alleged that 4,488 card holders in seven GPs of Tureikela block - Makhau, Kandhei, Tholmandal, Badadhokla, Ghunesh, Badabaki and Jharni - are yet to get 1,189 quintals of rice since 2014 though the issue has been raised several times in different forums.

Besides, 1,368 beneficiaries of Jharial GP of Bangomunda block of the district are also yet to receive 1,000 quintals of rice from 2014 despite several complaints, Saluja said.

The former Congress MLA demanded that beneficiaries of Kantabanji constituency, who are yet to get rations cards under NFSA since 2013, should be identified and covered under the scheme.

Saluja alleged that Congress workers led by him had gheraoed the Balangir Collectorate on September 1 over the issue and submitted a memorandum to Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik through him. But no action has been taken so far, he added.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp