BHUBANESWAR: A fire broke out at the Integrated Master of Computer Application (IMCA) department of Utkal University here on Wednesday. However, none of the students was injured in the mishap.
The fire broke out at around 12 pm when the classes were going on. Sources said the reason of the fire was short circuit. The fire first broke out in the main electricity panel of the building and spread to other rooms within minutes. As fumes engulfed the entire building, students and teachers ran out to safety. A fire tender rushed to the spot and brought the fire under control.
“Though there were 120 computer systems in the department, no loss of property was reported. We will take steps to prevent such incidents in future,’’ said PG Council Chairman RK Bal. Following the mishap, students of the department staged a demonstration outside the VC’s office.