As many as 188 school children in Vanniyadi village near Papanasam were rushed to the hospital after a lizard was found in the noon meal served to them on Tuesday. They were later sent home after being given first aid. The authorities had initiated suspension proceedings against the mid day meal staff.
Around 188 school children studying in the Panchayat Union Primary School and High School located in the same complex at Vanniyadi village, had the noon meal on Tuesday. One of the student found a lizard in the food served to him and alerted the teachers. Following this, many students complained of giddiness.
School authorities rushed the students in three vehicles to the Papanasam GH. A team of doctors headed by Chief Doctor of the hospital, Velayudam, checked up on the children and administered first aid.
Meanwhile, parents of the students hailing from Vanniyadi village and adjoining Manalmedu and Naanal Kodi villages staged a road blockade near Papanasam Government Hospital on the Thanjavur-Kumbakonam Road.
They demanded the suspension of the noon meal staff of the school alleging that incidents of food poisoning were recurring. Following the incident, N Ramalingam, the noon-meal organiser, S Soundaravalli, the cook and P Mariammal, the cooking assistant were placed under suspension by Thanjavur Collector K Baskaran.