Police have filed a First Information Report (FIR) after a milch cow died following suspected electrocution near Muthialpet, here on Friday last.
Muthilapet sub-inspector Krishnan said the cow entered a warehouse situated near a private vegetable vending outlet in search of food. It died after coming into contact with a live wire.
According to sources in Scan Foundation, an NGO, the owner searched for the cow and found it dead inside the warehouse on Saturday.
Sub-inspector said, following a complaint by Subburayan alias Murugan (42), a resident of Angalamman Nagar, an FIR has been filed under section 429 of IPC (mischief by killing or maiming cattle, etc. of any value or any animal of the value of fifty rupees).
According to the section, whoever commits mischief by killing, poisoning, maiming or rendering useless, any elephant, camel, horse, mule, buffalo, bull, cow or ox, whatever may be the value thereof, or any other animal of the value of fifty rupees and upwards, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to five years, or with fine, or both.
The dead cow was taken for post-mortem with the help of volunteers of Scan Foundation.
Krishnan said proceedings would be initiated based on the post-mortem report.