STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Lizard in meal, 115 school kids fall ill

Over 100 students of the Government Boys School at Kunnam in Perambalur district  were admitted to Ariyalur Government Hospital on Monday after a lizard was found in the meal served to them.

Published: 20th August 2013 08:16 AM  |   Last Updated: 20th August 2013 08:48 AM   |  A+A-

Over 100 students of the Government Boys Higher Secondary School at Kunnam in Perambalur district  were admitted to Ariyalur Government Hospital on Monday after a lizard was found in the meal served to them. Sources said that nothing untoward was reported and the 115 students, who had consumed the food, were kept under observation for over three hours and later discharged.

Meanwhile, on information Collector Darez Ahamed rushed to the hospital and enquired about the health of the children.

Taking stern action against the organisers of the noon meal, he suspended organiser Kalaiselvi and cook Usha for carelessness. 

Sources informed that the noon meal was prepared for as many as 203 students. However, when the food was being served to the students, the staff found a lizard in the meal and alerted the school administration. The information triggered panic among the students and the administration. As 115 students were consuming the food, the administration stopped them mid-way and rushed them to Ariyalur Government Hospital.

Sources said that the Collector held discussions with the doctors at the government hospital and after ascertaining that the condition of the admitted students was stable, he directed the district administration

officials to provide biscuits to the students. After observation, the admitted students were discharged.

Meanwhile, eight students were briefly admitted to Rajiv Gandhi Women and Children Hospital following suspected food poisoning after they took noon meal from Government Middle School at Karayamputhur near Puducherry on Monday. Eight students allegedly developed giddiness and vomiting after eating noon meal, in which a lizard was ‘rumoured’ to ha-

ve found. They were rushed to Karayamputhur PHC. The students were referred to the GH, where doctors referred them to Rajiv Gandhi Women and Children Hospital.

Health Department sources said, all the kids except one were discharged. A three-year-old boy was kept under observation for fluid loss, sources said adding that the boy has been undergoing treatment for diahorrea for three days.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

IPL_2020
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp