STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Food Act only to fill half plates

Published: 29th August 2013 10:07 AM  |   Last Updated: 29th August 2013 10:07 AM   |  A+A-

The proposed Food Security Act (FSA) would only cover 50.97 per cent of the population of the Union Territory, while the coverage for the remaining 49.03 per cent  would be under the discretion of the UT government at its own expenses.

Out of a population of 12,47,953 covered under the Public Distribution System (PDS) in the UT, 6,36,135  would be covered under FSA, while 6,11,818 would be left out, according official data.

After working out the coverage as per the provisions of the Act, 59.68 per cent of the rural population and 46.94 per cent of the urban population would be covered under the Act. This includes a rural population of  2,35,855 and urban population of 4,00,280.  The least coverage is in the outlying areas of Mahe and Yanam as both the areas have no rural population and as such only 46.94 per cent of the population is covered.

Out of 3,40,804 ration cards in the UT, a total of 1,59,034 cards would be covered under FSA. This includes 1,20,104 in Puducherry, 26,749 in Karaikal, 5,227 in Mahe and 6,954 in Yanam region.

Incidentally the coverage of 1,59,034 cards  under FSA is more than the existing BPL cards (including Antyodaya Anna Yojana) of 1,48,958 cards.

The government, however, plans to cover all its population for which modalities are being worked out, sources in the government said.

As the financial implication for implementing FSA is getting reduced by one third, the remaining funds would be utilised to provide the foodgrains to the left out people, said the official.

Under FSA, a monthly expenditure of Rs 1.10 crore would be incurred as compared to Rs 3.77 crore per month. The government is planning to give single boiled rice once the FSA is implemented, sources added. 



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

IPL_2020
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp