Around 8,000 police personnel will be deployed for security in the entire city with special attention on the beaches in both Marina and Besant Nagar on occasion of Kaanum Pongal on Wednesday. Police have set up barricades to prevent attempts to enter the shore-line. Besides, watch towers were set up for watching crowd movement. All Terrain Vehicles and mounted police force would be pressed into service. The police would be complemented by Home Guards and Armed Reserve police who would assist in crowd movement and traffic regulation as well.
Expecting huge turnout at the Marina, the police have effected traffic diversions and made parking arrangements on Kamarajar Salai, Adams Road, Wallajah Road and Bharathi Salai to facilitate the free flow of traffic.
● All vehicles, except MTC buses, from the RBI north subway and Parrys to be diverted at War Memorial junction towards Flagstaff Road and Wallajah Point to reach Anna Salai or Muthusamy Point
● Vehicles to Kamarajar Salai and War memorial to be diverted at Wallajah Point towards Muthusamy Point and Anna Salai
● Vehicles for Marina Beach alone will be allowed towards Swami Sivananda Salai from Periyar Statue. Rest would be diverted towards Anna Statue and Anna Salai
● Vehicles to be parked on one side of Swamy Sivananda Salai and people going to the Marina to get off the vehicles there . Bells Road to be made one way with entry from Bharathi Salai; vehicles at this junction to be diverted towards Anna Salai
● Canal Road to made one way with entry from Wallajah Road and vehicles not allowed to Bharathi Salai
● No vehicular entry to Wallajah Road from Kamarajar Salai. Vehicles from Anna Statue to be allowed up to Canal Road and diverted to Kannagi Statue, Bharathi Salai, MLA Hostel Road or Swami Sivananda Salai to War Memorial . No vehicles to be allowed towards Labour Statue from Kannagi Statue. Vehicles to be diverted to Bharathi Salai, Bells Road, Wallajah Road to reach to Anna Salai, Wallajah Road or MLA Hostel Road to War Memorial
● At Bharathi Salai-Bells Road junction, no vehicles to be allowed to Kannagi Statue and would be diverted to Bells Road, Wallajah Road, Canal road to reach Bharathi Salai and Kannagi Statue. Same no entry to be followed at Bharathi Salai-VR Pillai Street junction. Vehicles to be diverted to Bells Road, Wallajah Road and Canal road to reach Bharathi Salai and Kannagi Statue
● If the crowd swelled on Kamarajar Salai between Gandhi Statue and Kannagi Statue, vehicles to be diverted to Dr RK Salai, Music Academy junction, TTK Salai, GRH Point, Royapettah Clock Tower, Whites Road and Anna Salai
● No bullock carts to be allowed on Kamarajar Salai, Anna Salai (beyond Pallavan House), Santhome High Road, Cathedral Road and Dr RK Salai. Bullock carts from the north to be diverted at Wallajah Point and allowed to park on Anna Salai from Munroe Statue to Pallavan House. Those from the south to be diverted at South Canal Bank Road towards Srinivasapuram and allowed to park on bye pass road or loop road