CHENNAI: The Tamil Nadu government today announced doing away with load shedding for domestic and industrial customers from June 1 after the power situation in the state started to look up.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister, J Jayalalithaa held a meeting of her senior cabinet colleagues and government officials to review the prevailing power situation and later said in a statement that there was no power cut across the state in the last five days.
While her government had taken steps to add 2500 MW to the installed capacity since it took over in 2011, mid-term agreements for purchase of 500 MW was also being implemented.
Further, the long-term agreement to purchase 3300 MW will be implemented in phases from August this year, she said.
New power projects had started generating power, providing the state sufficient electricity and therefore, there had been no power cut in the state for the last five days even as she pinned further hope on wind power which, the CM said, would pick up speed by next month.
The Chief Minister had asked officials to make maximum utilisation of wind power.
Considering this, she had asked power managers to completely withdraw the existing load shedding designs, including the two-three hour cut for domestic consumers.
Accordingly, 90 per cent cut in power for high pressure industrial and commercial consumers between 6-10 PM will be completely done away with from June 1, and so will be the case with the 20 per cent load-shedding for the same category in other times.
The said proposal would help boost industrial production and result in jobs-creation and help the state become power surplus, she added.