2 Months On, 'Dead' Woman Comes Alive on Diwali

Published: 28th October 2014 06:03 AM  |   Last Updated: 28th October 2014 06:03 AM   |  A+A-

PUDUKKOTTAI: In a surprising incident, a young woman in the district who went missing and was later declared by police as dead, returned alive last week after two months of her alleged murder. The police are now sitting with their fingers crossed over the identity of the body that was handed over to the parents of the woman, presumed to be murdered.

Vennila.jpgAccording to sources, a young woman’s body was found in an Eucalyptus forest in Rasiyamangalam village near Alangudi on August 18. Police retrieved the body and it was preserved at the Alangudi GH mortuary for identification.

Meanwhile, the head of the body was severed and send for forensic test.

On seeing the news of an unidentified murdered woman carried in all news papers, one Chinnaiah of Annanagar in Thirukalampur village near Ponnamaravathi approached the police and said that the body of the young woman could be his daughter Vennila (21), who had gone missing on August 10. He had filed a police complaint after his daughter went missing. Since the body somewhat resembled Vennila, Chinnaiah accepted the body handed over to him by the police without performing any scientific tests and further identification. Police had told him that they were investigating the reason behind the murder.

Chinnaiyah took the body and performed the last rites and buried it at Ponnamaravathi. He performed religious rites for her in the presence of relatives,  villagers and her husband Ramesh, whom she  had married on February 14, 2014.

Against this backdrop, to everyone’s shock Vennila returned to her native last week in view of Deepavali, and news about this spread like wild fire, creating a shock among the villagers.

When contacted, Vennila told Express, “Due to quarrel with my parents and my husband, I went to Thudiyalur in Coimbatore district and started working as a labourer at a detergent company. Last month, two police personnel from Alangudi came to Thudiyalur and inquired with me about the quarrel with my parents and my work at Thudiyalur. Last week, I came to Thirukalampur to celebrate Deepavali.”

“Coming to know of this, Alangudi All Women police took me to the station and again enquired with me. I was identified by my husband Ramesh. They produced me before the judicial magistrate of Aranthangi on 21 October, and they let me off,” she added.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp