VELLORE: A 75-year-old ex-serviceman who was drunk suffered severe burn injuries after his bed caught fire. He died on Friday night.
According to a police official, P Varadhan (75), father of two and resident of Edaiyanchathu had drunk alcohol in his room and smoked a cigarette lying in bed. Embers from the cigarette triggered a fire and the entire bed was ablaze. “As the man was under the influence of alcohol, he couldn’t get up from the bed. On hearing Varadhan shouting out for help, his son V Sigamani tried to put out the fire,” police said.
He was admitted to the Government Vellore Medical College and Hospital with severe burn injuries. He later died at the hospital despite being given treatment. A case was registered at the Bagayam police station and an inquiry is on.
Woman Hangs Self
A 23-year-old woman committed suicide by hanging herself after coming to know that her husband married another woman, on Friday evening.
D Nandhini (24) of Ambur in Vellore had married Dhamodharan, a resident of Polur in Tiruvannamalai, four years ago. According to a police, “Nandhini lived with her husband for only six months after the marriage. After that she went to her mother’s house in Ambur over a misunderstanding with her husband. On Friday, after she came to know that her husband had married another woman from his village, she hung herself.” The couple’s divorce case was pending at the Ambur Family Court, police added.
“The victim lived for only six months with her husband. We are not sure whether there was a dowry issue or a misunderstanding over some other problem between them. This will be revealed during the inquiry,” the official added.
The woman’s mother filed a complaint at the Ambur Taluk police station and investigations were initiated.