Fire on Cell Tower Sparks Scare

Timely intervention of fire and rescue personnel averts loss of life and property

Published: 14th February 2015 06:05 AM  |   Last Updated: 14th February 2015 06:05 AM   |  A+A-


PUDUCHERRY: Tension prevailed after a fire broke out on a cellphone tower, erected atop a three storey building in a busy market area here on Friday afternoon.  The cause of the fire remains unknown.

Though the tower, at the corner of MG Road and Aurobindo Street was damaged, there was no loss of life or injury to anyone in the building that has a plastic items shop on the ground floor, a book shop on the first floor and a residence on the second floor thanks to the timely intervention of fire and rescue service personnel.

Two fire tenders were pressed into service to put off the flames, said Additional Divisional Fire Officer  Ritesh Chandra.   

The entire wiring of cables, circuit board,  receiver cum transmitter as well as the generator was damaged. The extent of damages has to be assessed by the cellphone operator, Chandra said.

The cellphone operator is yet to be identified as no cell phone company approached the fire service office so far, said Chandra. Officials suspect overloading or short circuit to have caused the fire, he added.

There are three sources that power the cellphone towers for transmission and reception. These include electric power supply, UPS and generator.

Since there was a power cut at the time, the cellphone tower was being powered by generator when the fire broke out.

A team of technicians had serviced the equipment of the tower just before the fire broke out, sources said adding that it was not known whether this had any connection with the accident. 

However the incident has shaken the people, who rented out their terrace for installing the tower, as there was no authority in Puducherry at present to check whether the stipulated safety guidelines had been followed.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp