CHENNAI: After pushing her grieving family to deeper despair, Nirosha (25), the young mother of Ajay (5) whose life was snuffed out by maanja thread, is inching back to life at a hospital here.
It was not even a week since the family had the misfortune of conduct the last rites for Ajay whose neck was slashed by the deadly kite thread that came his way while he was traveling with his father. The abrupt end of a lively child shattered the family as well as his mother’s will to live.
Nirosha is now recovering in Government Kilpauk Medical College Hospital after swallowing 20 pills to end her life on Friday morning.
“She seemed normal in the morning. At 11 am, she asked me to buy her some headache pills. That’s when she did it,” says her older sister Sridevi.
Nirosha’s condition was critical as the drug overdose took a toll on her. It was on Saturday that she showed the first signs of recovery, and the doctors declared she would survive.
Her husband and sister now take turns to sit by her side. The disasters have left both weary. Nirosha has no words to share as she flits into consciousness every hour or so.
Sridevi who lives next door has watched the two children Ajay and his baby sister Krithika (2) grow up. “Ajay was the apple of her eye. She would always get him what he wanted, cooked the food he liked. She was so determined to save and send him to an English medium school. And she did,” says Sridevi.
Sridevi recounts how cheerful and intelligent Ajay was for his age, and was the undisputed cynosure of his mother’s world. The disastrous week shattered it all.
“I pray the Government would take some action to prevent incidents like this. No mother deserves to go through this,” said Sridevi.