After five months, Iran frees 15 TN fishermen

Fifteen fishermen from three southern districts, who were working in Bahrain and were arrested by Iran for allegedly entering its territorial waters, have been released after about five months of dete

Published: 04th April 2017 02:17 AM  |   Last Updated: 04th April 2017 02:36 AM   |  A+A-

By Express News Service

MADURAI/NAGERCOIL:Fifteen fishermen from three southern districts, who were working in Bahrain and were arrested by Iran for allegedly entering its territorial waters, have been released after about five months of detention.

They have returned to Bahrain and are completing necessary formalities there. “We are now completing government formalities in Bahrain,” V Vargees, one of the fishermen, told Express over mobile phone.
“We could not sleep at night because the boats were full of mosquitoes. We were also forced to clean other boats stationed there,” he said, adding, “Our families also faced hardships because of our long detention.”
Vargees belongs to Kanyakumari district. Among those detained are fishermen from Tirunelveli and Ramanathapuram districts.

All of them were working for a ‘sponsor’ (employer) in Bahrain and when three of his boats allegedly entered Iranian waters, the fishermen were arrested on charges of poaching on October 22 last year. They were kept captive in their boats, said Sr Valarmathi, State coordinator, National Domestic Workers Movement, Migrants Forum India, a Chennai-based NGO.

The fishermen used to speak to Sr Valarmathi without the knowledge of the Iranian coast guard.
Though their sponsor had paid Iran the requisite fine, the captive fishermen were not released because of an Iran-Bahrain ‘dispute’. Bahrain had seized two vessels belonging to Iran, and Iran would not free the Indian ‘captives’ unless Bahrain released the Iranian boats, Sr Valarmathi told Express.
The fishermen initially suffered much due to lack of food and medical help, but the Indian embassy in Iran chipped in after continuous reminders about the ‘hostages’. With the help of the Ministry of External Affairs, they received release orders on April 2, Sr Valarmathi added.

“We had taken a loan of `75,000 for his travel, visa, etc. He used to send `5,000 to `10,000 every month after getting the Gulf job. But after the detention, the payments stopped,” said Kala, wife of Vargees.
During this period, she had no money for food and education of her two children, but neighbours helped, Kala said.

Stay up to date on all the latest Tamil Nadu news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp