24-year-old drunkard charred to death after kerosene bath

A 24-year-old man who was the victim of a freak fire accident succumbed to injuries at the Salem Government Medical College and Hospital on Sunday.

Published: 25th April 2017 04:10 AM  |   Last Updated: 25th April 2017 04:10 AM   |  A+A-

Express News Service

VILLUPURAM: A 24-year-old man who was the victim of a freak fire accident succumbed to injuries at the Salem Government Medical College and Hospital on Sunday.

According to sources, the bizarre incident took place on April 14 when Ramesh of Thathanur near Thrukovilur, the victim, came home drunk and decided to take a bath. But instead of using water, he poured kerosene on himself.

In his drunken state, he mistook paraffin for water and went ahead and took a shower. After that he dried himself and lit a beedi. His whole body was immediately on fire. On hearing his screams, neighbours rushed him to the Kallakurichi GH, from where he was referred to the Government Salem Medical College and Hospital, where he succumbed.

Based on a complaint from his father, Chinnathambi, Rishivandhiyam Police filed a complaint.

According to sources, Ramesh got married four years ago. Being a habitual drinker, he used to fight with his wife and also the villagers.

Stay up to date on all the latest Tamil Nadu news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp