VILLUPURAM: A 24-year-old man who was the victim of a freak fire accident succumbed to injuries at the Salem Government Medical College and Hospital on Sunday.
According to sources, the bizarre incident took place on April 14 when Ramesh of Thathanur near Thrukovilur, the victim, came home drunk and decided to take a bath. But instead of using water, he poured kerosene on himself.
In his drunken state, he mistook paraffin for water and went ahead and took a shower. After that he dried himself and lit a beedi. His whole body was immediately on fire. On hearing his screams, neighbours rushed him to the Kallakurichi GH, from where he was referred to the Government Salem Medical College and Hospital, where he succumbed.
Based on a complaint from his father, Chinnathambi, Rishivandhiyam Police filed a complaint.
According to sources, Ramesh got married four years ago. Being a habitual drinker, he used to fight with his wife and also the villagers.