CHENNAI: A 49-year-old businessman suffered burn injures after a fire broke out in his bedroom at Semmencherry suspectedly due to a short circuit in an air-conditioner on Sunday night.
The injured was identified as Sivaji. His wife Lidya said her husband was in an inebriated condition and was sleeping alone, while she and her children were in another room.
“At midnight, I heard some crackling sound. I opened the bedroom door and found smoke from Sivaji’s room. Sivaji was on fire,” she said.
“Hearing screams, neighbours came to our rescue. Meanwhile, I managed to pull my husband and children out of the burning house,” she added.
Neighbours alerted fire service who came to the spot, but a little late. By then the whole house was on fire.