TIRUNELVELI: Students of Rosemary matriculation Higher Secondary School at Palayamkottai have had a narrow escape as a fire broke out in the school building on Friday. Documents, furniture and the belongings of students including bags and study materials were destroyed in the fire. Inspecting the school, Collector Shilpa P Sathish assured that suitable action would be taken if the school had any security lapses on their part.
According to the sources, the fire erupted from one of the two rooms on the second floor of a building in which nearly 1,500 students were there. The students are from class 1 to 6. While the second floor has classrooms for class 5 and 6, the first floor and ground floor is for the students of class 1 to 4. On Wednesday around 12.30 pm, the fire erupted from one of the two rooms - a storeroom and a smart classroom.
Police suspect that the fire might have broke out due to short circuit from a smart board installed inside a classroom. However, the cause of the accident will be known only after the scientific office submits the report, sources said. While the fire fully turned the documents, furniture and other items stuffed inside the storeroom into ash, it partially damaged the study materials and bags of students kept in an adjacent room.