Vedanta moves Madras High Court to get power restored

Company alleges that TANGEDCO cut electricity without serving notice, which caused gas leakage in the unit.

Published: 20th June 2018 04:45 AM  |   Last Updated: 20th June 2018 04:45 AM   |  A+A-

A file photo of the violence during the anti-Sterlite protest in Thoothukudi

Express News Service

MADURAI: Citing the sulphuric acid leak incident, Vedanta Group’s general manager (Legal) Satyapriya approached the Madras High Court’s Bench in Madurai, praying to restore the electricity supply to Sterlite Copper at Thoothukudi. She stated that the leak occurred due to the inexplicable inaction by the State government.

In the 18-page petition, the petitioner, who is also the authorised signatory of Vedanta, submitted that the Tamil Nadu Transmission Corporation Limited (TANTRANSCO) disconnected the power grid supply to the copper smelter plant in the wee hours of May 24, without serving any notice/order. Thereafter, on the same day at 05.27 pm, the order dated May 23 was sent through email.

Further, the unplanned shutdown was carried out rapidly by the authorities, despite the employees of the plant explaining the risk of such abrupt shutdown in an existing plant with machines and raw materials, including hazardous chemicals.

The petitioner submitted that on May 25, 26 and on June 2, representations were made to Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board (TNPCB) seeking minimum restoration of electricity on the plant premises to maintain the emergency services and avert any disaster due to leakages and accidents in plant. However, the representation was not considered, the petitioner said.

While so, on June 16, the Thoothukudi district environmental engineer sent a WhatsApp message, requesting immediate action to arrest the leakage in sulphuric acid storage tank, the petitioner said.

Apprehending that the leakage was an act of sabotage, as there was insufficient security apparatus in and around the plant, there was a grave risk and danger to other tanks located inside the plan with flammable chemicals, the petitioner contended that the leakage was due to the irresponsible approach of the officials and the complete disconnection was a serious threat.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.


    I agree . It was an irresponsible act by the Government and PCB .These kind off unthoutful actions especially with chemical industries may result in another Bhopal .Should have given notice to go for safe shutdown and remove hazardous material from the site before closing down the unit .At least Technical officials from PCB and DISH should have advised properly
    4 years ago reply
  • Jayakrishnan K

    this is what happens if politics of oneupmanship takes place instead of prudent way forward. Cutting off power supply to the plant without proper safeguard measures will lead to unnecessary complications and safety issues.
    4 years ago reply
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp