Biggest COVID-19 spike yet again in Tamil Nadu with 3,645 new cases, 46 deaths

Chennai alone recorded 1,956 cases -- its highest single-day spike -- increasing its tally to 49,690. There were also 37 deaths in the city taking its toll to 730.

Published: 26th June 2020 07:24 PM  |   Last Updated: 26th June 2020 07:24 PM   |  A+A-

Fever clinic to find Corona on the streets of Kaladipet on Friday in Chennai.

Fever clinic to find Corona on the streets of Kaladipet on Friday in Chennai. (Photo | EPS/P Jawahar)

Express News Service

CHENNAI: Tamil Nadu recorded its biggest COVID-19 spike on Friday, with 3,645 new cases and 46 deaths. This took the state's tally to 74,622 while the toll surged to 957.

Chennai alone recorded 1,956 cases -- its highest single-day spike -- increasing its tally to 49,690. There were also 37 deaths in the city taking its toll to 730. Among the new cases, 122 were people who arrived from outside the state, according to the media bulletin issued by the Directorate of Public Health.

Chennai contributed 54 percent of the new cases, while the other districts put together had a 46 percent of share.

According to the media bulletin, Chennai's neighbouring districts also recorded a significant number of cases. Chengalpattu recorded 232 cases, Kancheepuram 90 and Tiruvallur 177.

Madurai which was also brought under complete lockdown recorded 190 cases. All districts excluding Perambalur recorded new cases on Friday. Krishnagiri which had not reported any new case on the previous day recorded 14 cases. Vellore recorded 149 cases.

The state also tested 32,317 persons and 33,675 samples in 89 testing labs including 47 government and 42 private labs, the media bulletin said.

Meanwhile, of the 46 deaths, 15 were reported in private hospitals and 31 in government hospitals. The deceased were in the age group of 34 years to 90 years.

Among the deceased, two didn't have comorbidities. One was a 60-year-old woman from Chennai admitted on 22 June to the Government Stanley Medical College Hospital. She died on 24 June due to respiratory failure and bronchopneumonia.

The other was a 54-year-old man from Chennai admitted on 25 June to the Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital who died on the same day due to cardiopulmonary arrest.

Meanwhile, 1,358 people were discharged following treatment, the bulletin said.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp