STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

‘Consumptive use of Krishna water only 20%’

The return flows of domestic water supplies are not discernable and need not be quantified separately

Published: 23rd June 2018 05:48 AM  |   Last Updated: 23rd June 2018 05:48 AM   |  A+A-

Express News Service

HYDERABAD: Telangana Irrigation department contended that the consumptive use should be considered as 20 per cent of the drawal made for domestic and municipal water supply and the remaining 80 per cent water will flow back into the river system as return flow which cannot be measured.With the no consensus on measurement of Krishna waters released for domestic and municipal water supply at Krishna River Management Board’s meetings, State irrigation engineer-in-chief C Muralidhar wrote a letter to the KRMB member-secretary on Friday to this effect.

“The return flows of domestic water supplies are not discernable and need not be quantified separately. Hence, the return flows, whichever manner and whatever quantities, might join the river or tributaries over a period of time, those will be part of the yield of the river or tributary at that point and not to be explored and quantified as a separate constituent,” Muralidhar told KRMB member-secretary.

“Moreover, as per section 85(8) (a) of AP Reorganisation Act, 2014, the KRMB and GRMB have to function having regard to the Tribunal awards, which leads to the inevitable conclusion that the KRMB shall implement the Clause VII of final order of KWDT-1. This Clause is so explicit the view of the States to arrive at ‘final view’ by the KRMB, except implementing it. In view of the above, it is requested to account only 20 per cent of water drawn towards domestic and municipal water supply as per Clause VII of the KWDT-1 final order in the overall water accounting of TS,” he said.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp