STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

28-year-old oustee of Telangana's Erravalli village killed during demolition at Mallanna Sagar project site

The relatives of the deceased have alleged that officials went ahead with the demolition even after being informed that Kanakaraju was present inside the house.

Published: 22nd August 2021 12:47 PM  |   Last Updated: 22nd August 2021 12:49 PM   |  A+A-

Mallanna Sagar death

Are Kanakaraju was helping out his relative Raju to vacate his house in Erravalli village. (Photo | Express)

By Express News Service

HYDERABAD: In a freak mishap, one of the displaced residents of the Mallanna Sagar Project died at Erravalli village late on Saturday night after an electric pole fell on him. The incident took place when government officials were busy demolishing the houses of the oustees of the project to conduct a trial run for releasing water. The deceased, identified as Are Kanakaraju, 28, was accompanying his relative Raju when his house was going under the bulldozer.

The relatives of the deceased have alleged that officials went ahead with the demolition even after being informed that Kanakaraju was present inside the house. Denying the allegations, Siddipet police commissioner Joel Davis said that the incident was unfortunate. "The works were taken after taking consent from residents and prior information. A case is being registered and will be investigated thoroughly looking into all aspects,” Joel Davis told The New Indian Express.

Kanakaraju's family also lost their land to the project and they had already received compensation.

As the trial run for releasing the project was scheduled on Sunday, officials had taken up preparations for the same. After all the oustees vacated villages, only a few of them are held back in Erravalli village in Kondapaka mandal in Siddipet district due to compensation and beneficiary issues.

After persuasion, they also agreed to vacate their homes.

After taking their consent, officials started the work. Raju was one of them and his relative Kanakaraju had come to the village to help him in vacating the house. 

While the process was going on, Kanakaraju had gone into the house to pick up some remaining things when the electric pole fell on him. He was rushed to a corporate hospital in the city, where he died while undergoing treatment in the early hours of Sunday.

The police have intensified the security in the village. 



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp