At least 24 insurgents have been killed during an exchange of fire between Nigerian security forces and suspected terrorists in the pre-dawn attack on Maiduguri, a military statement said Monday.
Military locations, which included the Nigerian Air Force base in Maiduguri, were targeted during the attack, a statement from Chris Olukolade, director of defence information, said, adding the Nigerian security forces repelled the attack.
He said three decommissioned military aircraft as well as two helicopters were incapacitated in the course of the attack.
"Security forces are in pursuit of the terrorists in the Djemtillo general area along the Maiduguri and Banishek axis," the statement said. It added that movements in Maiduguri and environs had been restricted.
It also enjoined citizens to report any of the fleeing insurgents, most of whom could be identified with gunshot wounds.
Olukolade also said that normal flights operation in and out of the Maiduguri Airport which were earlier disrupted temporarily had resumed.