STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

North Korea blames US threat for aborting envoy's trip

Published: 01st September 2013 10:31 AM  |   Last Updated: 01st September 2013 10:31 AM   |  A+A-

North Korea said it rescinded its invitation for a U.S. envoy to visit the country to seek the freedom of an American detainee because Washington perpetrated a "grave provocation" by allegedly mobilizing nuclear-capable bombers during recent military drills with Seoul.

Bob King, the U.S. special envoy for North Korean human rights, had been scheduled to travel to Pyongyang on Friday for talks on Kenneth Bae, who has been detained since November for committing "hostile acts." Bae, a 45-year-old tour operator and Christian missionary, was sentenced in April to 15 years of hard labor.

An unidentified North Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman said in remarks carried by state media late Saturday that his country intended to allow King's visit even though the U.S. and South Korea were conducting annual military drills.

But he said the U.S. "beclouded the hard-won atmosphere of humanitarian dialogue in a moment" by allegedly infiltrating B-52H strategic bombers into the sky above the peninsula during the exercises. He called it "the most blatant nuclear blackmail against us."

The annual Ulchi Freedom Guardian drills, which ended Friday, were computer-simulated war games that U.S. and South Korea say are defensive nature, but which North Korea calls a rehearsal for an invasion. The U.S. military command in Seoul did not immediately comment on the North Korean statement.

Earlier this year, the U.S. took the unusual step of sending nuclear-capable B-52 and B-2 bombers to participate in springtime military drills with South Korea as tension was running high after a string of warlike rhetoric from North Korea, including vows to launch nuclear war. The flights drew a furious response from Pyongyang. Animosities have since eased, with Pyongyang moderating its rhetoric and seeking diplomacy with Seoul and Washington.

State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said Friday the U.S. was "surprised and disappointed by North Korea's decision" and remains gravely concerned about Bae's health. Bae's family expressed disappointment but said they were holding on to faith that North Korean and U.S. diplomats would resume talks soon. Bae suffers from multiple health problems.

Bae is at least the sixth American detained in North Korea since 2009. The others were eventually allowed to leave without serving their terms, with some releases coming after prominent Americans, including former Presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter, visited North Korea.

Analysts say North Korea has previously used detained Americans as bargaining chips in its standoff with the U.S. over its nuclear and missile programs. International disarmament talks on ending North Korea's nuclear ambitions remain stalled since 2009.

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp