STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Denmark to Bury Jewish Shooting Victim

Published: 18th February 2015 08:25 PM  |   Last Updated: 18th February 2015 08:25 PM   |  A+A-

By PTI

COPENHAGEN: Denmark prepared today to bury a Jewish man killed in a weekend shooting spree as questions mounted about whether more could have been done to prevent the attacks.  

Dan Uzan, a 37-year-old volunteer security guard, was killed outside Copenhagen's main synagogue in the second of two shootings that sent jitters across Europe.  

Security services in Denmark have come under scrutiny over what action had been taken to prepare for possible attacks in the wake of the Islamist killings in Paris just weeks before.     

Danish intelligence acknowledged yesterday that the suspected gunman, identified as a 22-year-old with a history of violent crime, had been had been flagged up as being at risk of radicalisation while he was in prison.          

But police dismissed criticism they had failed to boost security after the Paris attacks in January that killed 17 people including four Jews.     

"The security level was raised after the incident (in Paris)," Peter Dahl, a senior police official, told the Jyllands-Posten newspaper.

But members of the Jewish community in Denmark have said they did not notice any increased police protection ahead of the Copenhagen attacks, according to the paper.       

The gunman, now formally identified by police as Omar El-Hussein, launched his rampage on Saturday, first firing off dozens of rounds outside a cultural centre where a debate on Islam and free speech was taking place.            

Finn Noergaard, a 55-year-old Danish documentary film director, was shot dead and three police officers were wounded.       

Several hours later, El-Hussein opened fire outside the main synagogue in the Danish capital where a bar mitzvah was being celebrated, killing Uzan and injuring two policemen.         

The attacker, a 22-year-old Dane of Palestinian origin, died in a hail of police bullets in a pre-dawn shootout on Sunday.         

Two men have been charged with helping him dispose of his weapon and giving him somewhere to hide.

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp