STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

2 million people lack basic supplies in Aleppo, says UN

Published: 10th August 2016 04:09 AM  |   Last Updated: 10th August 2016 04:09 AM   |  A+A-

Mideast Syria Beyond _Moha

In this file photo taken on May 31, 2016 provided by the Syrian Civil Defense Directorate in Liberated Province of Aleppo, which has been authenticated based on its contents and other AP reporting, shows Syrian man carries an injured boy, in Aleppo, Syria

By IANS

ALEPPO: Some two million people in Aleppo are without vital supplies and children in the besieged northern Syrian city are at "grave risk" of disease, the United Nations has warned, calling for an immediate humanitarian truce.

"The targeting of hospitals and clinics continues unabated, seriously jeopardizing the health and welfare of all citizens of Aleppo," said Yacoub al-Hillo, UN resident and humanitarian coordinator for Syria, and Kevin Kennedy, regional humanitarian coordinator for the Syria Crisis.

Attacks on civilian infrastructure this week severely damaged the city's electric and water infrastructure, leaving more than two million residents of Aleppo without electricity or access to the public water network, they said.

"The UN is extremely concerned that the consequences will be dire for millions of civilians if the electricity and water networks are not immediately repaired," Hillo and Kennedy warned.

They urged the immediate lifting of all sieges and a total ceasefire or weekly 48-hour humanitarian pauses to reach millions of people in need throughout Aleppo and resupply food and medicines "which are running dangerously low".

UN children's charity Unicef said the whole city had been without running water for four days.

"Children and families in Aleppo are facing a catastrophic situation," said Hanaa Singer, Unicef's representative in Syria.

"Getting clean water running again cannot wait for the fighting to stop. Children's lives are in serious danger."

Fighting between government forces and rebels has intensified in recent weeks and on Sunday rebels cut off the government's key access route into western Aleppo, prompting an intense campaign of air strikes by pro-government forces.

In July there were at least 10 confirmed attacks on health facilities in Aleppo and only 35 medical doctors remain in the city, according to the UN World Health Organisation.

At least 250,000 people are believed to have been trapped in rebel-held areas of eastern Aleppo since a key access route into the area was closed by government forces in early July.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp