STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Saudi still reviewing the tragic 2015 hajj stampede: Minister

More than 2,000 pilgrims died in the stampede, the worst disaster to ever strike the annual ritual.

Published: 07th June 2016 09:49 AM  |   Last Updated: 07th June 2016 09:49 AM   |  A+A-

Hajj_Stampede_11
By AFP

JEDDAH: Saudi authorities are still reviewing a deadly stampede which struck last year's hajj pilgrimage, the minister of hajj and umra said on Tuesday.

It was a rare comment by a senior Saudi official about the tragedy.

More than 2,000 pilgrims died in the stampede, the worst disaster to ever strike the annual ritual.

"We already studied that and we are continuing to study this and, God willing, we'll have many preventive measures and procedures that...will not repeat what happened last time," Minister of Hajj and Umra Mohammed Bentin told AFP on the sidelines of a press conference in the Red Sea city of Jeddah.

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, the interior minister who also chairs the hajj committee, ordered a probe immediately after the September 24 disaster but there has still been no word on its findings.

According to data from foreign officials, at least 2,297 pilgrims died. Saudi Arabia issued a death toll of 769.

The tragedy happened as pilgrims made their way in searing temperatures to the Jamarat, the place where they ritually stone the devil in the Mina tent city in western Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of Islam.

The hajj and lesser umra pilgrimage bring millions of Muslims from around the world to Saudi Arabia every year.

Bentin spoke to AFP after joining other cabinet ministers at a press conference to discuss the National Transformation Programme (NTP) for bolstering the kingdom's non-oil economy.

As part of that programme, Saudi Arabia wants to increase the number of umra visitors to 15 million annually by 2020, up from six million.

Bentin said his ministry, like others, will have to meet targets to show how the NTP is being implemented.

This will help promote safety, he said, because under the NTP officials are "ready to evaluate each stage of hajj, and each service, and whenever something goes wrong, God willing we'll at least be able to act before anything serious can happen."

Bentin said the ministry wants to use technology to better monitor service provided to pilgrims.

It is also working towards an "international standard of hospitality" in partnership with the private sector, so the flow of pilgrims continues throughout the year, not just during the traditional pilgrimage seasons.

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp