STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Charlotte under emergency after violence flares anew

Anger simmering in Charlotte earlier in the day, especially over the police chief\'s assertion that Scott had been armed.

Published: 22nd September 2016 06:30 PM  |   Last Updated: 22nd September 2016 07:31 PM   |  A+A-

APTOPIX Charlotte Pol_Madh

Protesters stop at an intersection blocked by bicycle officers along Trade Street in Charlotte, N.C. | AP

By AFP

CHARLOTTE: Charlotte, North Carolina awoke under a state of emergency Thursday after one person was seriously wounded in a second night of violent protests over the police shooting of a black man.

Mayor Jennifer Roberts said a curfew was under consideration after the state's governor activated the National Guard and state police to help keep the peace in the restive southern city.

"We are certainly going to talk about that today," she said on ABC's "Good Morning America" show. "We did sign a statement last night to declare a state of emergency, which gives us that authority."

Several hundred people taunted riot police late Wednesday amid clashes in the city center.

A protester was critically wounded and on life support, the city said, after erroneously reporting that the person had died. Authorities had said the protester was shot by a civilian, adding that police did not open fire.

An AFP reporter at the scene of the protests outside the Omni Charlotte hotel saw a man who was apparently shot falling to the ground, bleeding heavily.

"We cannot tolerate violence. We cannot tolerate the destruction of property and will not tolerate the attacks towards our police officers that are occurring right now," Governor Pat McCrory told CNN after announcing on Twitter that he was activating the National Guard and the state highway police to reinforce Charlotte's police force.

Roberts said she was "working to calm things down."

"We have great folks in our community who really want this to be peaceful and want us to have constructive dialogue to move our city forward," she said.

The protests were sparked by the death of Keith Lamont Scott, 43, who was shot in an apartment complex parking lot on Tuesday during an encounter with officers searching for a suspect wanted for arrest.

Protesters 'seething'

The evening started out with a peaceful vigil for Scott, but the atmosphere changed dramatically once demonstrators walked to the nearby police headquarters, where a protester pulled the American flag to the bottom of its flagpole.

By the time the protesters walked the few blocks to uptown, and encountered riot police standing like statues on Trade Street, the marchers were seething.

"It's too much. It's too much," winced one woman, wiping tears from her eyes as she stood before riot police.

"We've got brothers and sisters and children and fathers who think we're not going to live to see the next day. Nobody should have to live like that," she said.

Some demonstrators stood on cars and hurled objects at police, who fired what appeared to be tear gas, sending the protesters scattering.

Scott's death is the latest in a string of police-involved killings of black men that have fueled outrage across the United States.

Ahead of Wednesday's protest, presidential candidates Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton weighed in on the violence in Charlotte, which came on the heels of another fatal police shooting of a black man, Terence Crutcher, on Friday in Tulsa.

"Keith Lamont Scott. Terence Crutcher. Too many others. This has got to end. -H," tweeted Democrat Clinton, signing the post herself.

After calling to "make America safe again" in a tweet, Trump suggested later Wednesday that the Tulsa officer who shot Crutcher had "choked."

"I don't know what she was thinking," the Republican said, speaking at an African-American church in Cleveland, Ohio.

Divergent accounts

The Charlotte shooting took place at 4:00 pm (2000 GMT) Tuesday as officers searching for a suspect arrived in the parking lot of an apartment complex.

They spotted a man later identified as Scott, who they said was holding a handgun as he exited and then re-entered a vehicle, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police chief Kerr Putney told journalists.

Officers approached the man and loudly commanded him to get out and drop the weapon, at which point Scott exited the vehicle armed, according to police.

"He stepped out, posing a threat to the officers, and officer Brentley Vinson subsequently fired his weapon, striking the subject," the police chief said.

However, Putney added that he did not know whether Scott "definitively pointed the weapon specifically toward an officer."

Carrying a firearm is legal under "open carry" gun laws in North Carolina.

Scott's relatives told local media that he was waiting for his young son at school bus stop when police arrived. He was not carrying a gun but a book when he was shot dead, they said -- an account police disputed.

"I can tell you a weapon was seized. A handgun," Putney said. "I can also tell you we did not find a book that has been made reference to."

Anger was simmering in Charlotte earlier in the day, especially over the police chief's assertion that Scott had been armed.

"It's a lie," said Taheshia Williams, whose daughter attends school with the victim's son. "They took the book and replaced it with a gun."

Earlier on Wednesday evening, several hundred angry protesters, mostly African American, marched to the Charlotte police headquarters.

Some chanted "No Justice! No Peace!" while others banged on the door.

A young boy held a sign saying "My life matters."

Series of shootings

A string of fatal police shootings -- from Baton Rouge, Louisiana to St. Paul, Minnesota -- has left many Americans demanding law enforcement reforms and greater accountability.

In the southern state of Oklahoma, Tulsa police chief Chuck Jordan called video footage of Crutcher's deadly shooting on Friday disturbing and "very difficult to watch."

The 40-year-old is seen with his hands up, appearing to comply with police officers before he is shot once by officer Betty Shelby and falls to the ground. Another officer fires his stun gun.

The US Department of Justice said Monday it would conduct a federal civil rights probe into the Tulsa shooting, parallel to an investigation being carried out by local authorities.

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp