One dead, two wounded in shooting at gym in upscale Florida mall

The wounded were airlifted to the Ryder Trauma Center. There was no immediate word on their conditions.

Published: 09th April 2017 05:10 AM  |   Last Updated: 09th April 2017 09:24 AM   |  A+A-

Police patrol outside of the Shops at Merrick Park after a shooting, Saturday, April 8, 2017, in Coral Gables, Fla. Alvaro Zabaleta of the Miami-Dade Police Department says detectives have responded to the scene of the shooting in the upscale shopping mal

By Associated Press

CORAL GABLES: A former gym employee opened fire inside the facility on Saturday, critically wounding a manager and another person before he killed himself, officials said.

The manager later died at a hospital after the shooting at the Equinox gym, a law enforcement official who was brief on the investigation told The Associated Press. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to release the information.

The shooting happened about 1 p.m. at the upscale mall, the Shops at Merrick Park. Shoppers and diners at mall restaurants ran to safety or took cover after reports of gunfire.

Miami-Dade police said the second victim was in critical condition at a hospital. Police have not released the names of the shooter and victims.

"It appears to be an ex-employee, managerial dispute that triggered this shooting," Miami-Dade Police Detective Alvaro Zabaleta said.

The mall is within a couple miles of the University of Miami campus. Former Miami baseball standout Javy Rodriguez said he was inside the gym and working out when the shots started, writing on Facebook that he ran to safety. He also helped others get out of the building.

"Equinox workers did an amazing job of calmly ... getting the rest out of there," Rodriguez said.

At Yard House, a restaurant inside the mall, many patrons were outside dining or waiting for their lunches when police told restaurant employees to get everyone inside.

"So that's exactly what we did," said Tim Hartog, the restaurant's general manager. "It was never chaotic. We're trained to do these things."

Employees were allowed to clean and shut down the restaurant for the day, and were told to go home afterward. Hartog said the mall was closed until Sunday.

More than a dozen police cars and firetrucks were outside the mall for hours after the shooting. Employees of other stores and restaurants were seen leaving about an hour after the shooting, once the scene was secure.

Equinox said in a statement that is was working with authorities.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the families impacted by this terrible tragedy. Out of respect for them and our entire Equinox family, we will refrain from commenting further until it is appropriate to do so," the statement said.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp