STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Turkey opposition chief accuses Erdogan of 2nd coup with purge

Turkey's main opposition leader accused President Recep Tayyip Erdogan today of staging a "second coup" with the crackdown that followed last July's failed coup.

Published: 16th June 2017 10:01 PM  |   Last Updated: 16th June 2017 10:01 PM   |  A+A-

Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan | AP

By PTI

ANKARA: Turkey's main opposition leader accused President Recep Tayyip Erdogan today of staging a "second coup" with the crackdown that followed last July's failed coup, as he presses on with a protest march to Istanbul from Ankara.     

Republican People's Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu called the march after former journalist turned CHP lawmaker Enis Berberoglu was sentenced to 25 years in jail on Wednesday for leaking classified information to a newspaper.     

In his biggest challenge yet to the authorities, the leader of Turkey's second-largest party is marching to the prison in the Istanbul district of Maltepe where Berberoglu is being held, inviting supporters to accompany him.     

Kilicdaroglu said the "second coup" came when Erdogan declared a state of emergency on July 20 that has since seen about 50,000 people arrested and over 100,000 lose their jobs.     

"The results (of July 15) were used to make the second coup on July 20," Kilicdaroglu told AFP on the second day of his 450-kilometre trek to Istanbul.   

 The initial three-month state of emergency has since been renewed three times, amplifying concerns about human rights in the country.     

The CHP leader, dressed in a shirt, baseball hat and sport shoes, said the march was a challenge to injustice and was needed "because there is no independent judiciary".     

"The judiciary largely await instructions from Erdogan and they give decisions based on these instructions," he said, as supporters brandished placards with a single word, "justice".     

Security forces often clamp down on protests in Ankara and Istanbul, but Kilicdaroglu's march has taken place unhindered so far, albeit with heavy security.     

Kilicdaroglu said he did not believe the government would have the "courage" to stop the march or detain him "because the march is within the limits of the law".     

But he warned: "If detentions or arrests happen, there would be heavy consequences."     

Prime Minister Binali Yildirim today criticised Kilicdaroglu's actions, saying justice "cannot be found on the streets" and "we must respect courts' decisions even if we don't like them".     

Berberoglu's case, which sparked the march, relates to the 2015 publication by the opposition Cumhuriyet newspaper of images purportedly showing the Turkish intelligence service seeking to transport arms over the border to Syria.

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp