STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

London Tube attack: Two more arrests in Wales

Two men were arrested on Wednesday over last week's London Underground terror attack in which 30 people were injured, bringing the total number of people in custody to five.

Published: 20th September 2017 02:32 PM  |   Last Updated: 20th September 2017 02:56 PM   |  A+A-

Representational image (Photo | AP)

By AFP

LONDON: Two men were arrested on Wednesday over last week's London Underground terror attack in which 30 people were injured, bringing the total number of people in custody to five, police said.

The men, aged 48 and 30, were arrested under anti-terrorism legislation in Newport in Wales, police said in a statement, after a 25-year-old man was arrested in the same city on Tuesday.

"This continues to be a fast-moving investigation," Dean Haydon, head of counter-terrorism at London's Metropolitan Police, said in the statement.

"We now have five men in custody and searches are continuing at four addresses," he said.

"We anticipate that the searches will take some days to complete and may cause further disruption".

Friday's attack on a train at Parsons Green station in west London was claimed by the Islamic State group.

A bomb hidden in a large white bucket apparently failed to detonate fully when it went off during morning rush hour but instead released what witnesses described as a "fireball" into the air.

Some commuters suffered burns, while others were injured in the stampede to the exit that ensued.

The bombing was the fifth terror attack in Britain in six months, which combined have claimed 35 lives.

The terror alert in Britain was raised to its maximum "critical" level on Friday, meaning another attack was believed to be imminent. It was lowered back to "severe" on Sunday. 

An 18-year-old man, reportedly an Iraqi refugee, was arrested in the ferry departure terminal of the port of Dover on Saturday and a 21-year-old man was detained later the same day in west London.

The 21-year-old was named by British media, who said he was originally from Syria and had been working at a fast food chicken restaurant.

The police investigation has focused on a foster home in Sunbury-on-Thames, a suburb of London where the 18-year-old is believed to have lived.

Police said searches were also continuing at another address near London and two properties in Newport.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp