ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Wednesday rejected as "baseless" and "unfounded allegations" by Afghanistan that the Kandahar attack, in which three top Afghan officials were killed, was planned in the neighbouring country.
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani Tuesday alleged that the attack on slain Kandahar police commander Gen Abdul Raziq was planned in Pakistan.
"I want to say that this conspiracy was plotted in Pakistan. So Pakistan should give us the criminals so that we can bring them to justice," Ghani claimed.
Commenting on Ghani's remarks, Pakistan's Foreign Office said no hard evidence or intelligence-related information has been shared to date with Pakistan to substantiate such claims.
"Pakistan rejects baseless and unfounded allegations regarding the latest Kandahar attacks," it said in a statement.
It also said that there was elaborate mechanisms under the Afghanistan-Pakistan Action Plan for Peace and Stability (APAPPS) to mutually and effectively address and investigate any such unfortunate incidents.
"It would have been more appropriate to invoke the relevant arrangement instead of resorting to media blame game which is contrary to the seven principles of cooperation agreed between the two sides, earlier this year," it added.
Kandahar's powerful provincial police chief Gen Abdul Razik and the province's intelligence chief, Abdul Mohmin, were killed in the Taliban attack on Thursday last, while provincial governor Zalmay West died later of his injuries at a hospital.
Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi condoled the death of the senior Afghan officials.
In a phone call to his Afghan counterpart Friday, Qureshi assured him Islamabad's full support to the democratic process in the war-torn country.