STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Five civilians beheaded by suspected Islamic State militants following attack in central Libya 

Jufra lawmaker Ismail al-Sharif said IS fighters attacked the city with 25 vehicles, beheaded five civilians and torched local government and security offices.

Published: 29th October 2018 11:57 PM  |   Last Updated: 29th October 2018 11:58 PM   |  A+A-

Islamic State

IS took advantage of the chaos that reigned in Libya after the 2011 NATO-backed ouster of Moamer Kadhafi to establish footholds in several parts of the country (File | AP)

By AFP

TRIPOLI: At least five people were killed Monday and 10 others kidnapped in an attack by suspected Islamic State group jihadists on a town in central Libya, local and military sources said.

Three civilians were among the dead, while a soldier was wounded and 10 people "missing, probably kidnapped", said General Ahmed al-Mesmari, spokesman for the Libyan National Army.

The raid targeted the desert town of Al-Fuqaha in Jufra district, which has for over a year been held by forces allied to Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar, who leads the self-styled LNA.

LNA forces responded to the attack but the IS fighters fled south, killing a five victim and injuring another at a security checkpoint, Mesmari said.

Earlier, municipal council member Abdellatif Jalala told AFP that three civilians and a policeman had been killed in the dawn attack, more than 800 kilometres (490 miles) south of the capital Tripoli.

He said the assailants kidnapped at least eight others before fleeing into the Haruj mountains further south.

Jufra lawmaker Ismail al-Sharif said IS fighters attacked the city with 25 vehicles, beheaded five civilians and torched local government and security offices.

The attackers set fire to police posts and public buildings in Al-Fuqaha, he added.

Both Sharif and Jalala said the raid was likely retaliation for arrests earlier this month of alleged IS members in the area.

The Jufra region has been regularly hit by attacks attributed to jihadists.

In August 2017, an attack claimed by IS killed 11 people, including nine LNA fighters.

IS took advantage of the chaos that reigned in Libya after the 2011 NATO-backed ouster of Moamer Kadhafi to establish footholds in several parts of the country.

In June 2015, jihadists seized control of Kadhafi's hometown of Sirte, only ceding it in December of the following year in the face of an offensive by forces loyal to the UN-backed government in Tripoli.

In April this year, the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord launched an operation to track down IS fighters operating in areas of western Libya under its control.

The US military has regularly carried out strikes on jihadists in Libya, particularly south of Sirte.

Many jihadists have since retreated to desert areas in the country's south, where they are attempting to regroup.

A September 10 suicide attack later claimed by IS on Libya's National Oil Company headquarters in the heart of Tripoli left two dead and 10 others wounded.

Four months earlier, IS claimed an attack on Libya's electoral commission headquarters in Tripoli that killed 14 people.

 



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp