Police maced, trampled: New documents show depth of chaos in January 6 US Capitol riots

The memo is one of hundreds of emails, texts, photos and documents obtained by The Associated Press through 35 Freedom of Information requests to Capitol area law enforcement agencies.

Published: 05th March 2021 12:43 PM  |   Last Updated: 05th March 2021 12:43 PM   |  A+A-

US capitol riots

Violent insurrectionists loyal to President Donald Trump supporters try to break through a police barrier at the Capitol in Washington. (File photo | AP)

By Associated Press

WASHINGTON: Two firefighters loaned to Washington for the day were the only medics on the Capitol steps January 6, trying to triage injured officers as they watched the angry mob swell and attack police.

Law enforcement agents were "being pulled into the crowd and trampled, assaulted with scaffolding materials, and/or bear maced by protesters," wrote Arlington County firefighter Taylor Blunt in an after-action memo.

Some couldn't walk, and had to be dragged to safety.

Even some of the attackers sought medical help, and Blunt and his colleague Nathan Waterfall treated those who were passing out or had been hit.

But some "feigned illness to remain behind police lines," Blunt wrote.

The memo is one of hundreds of emails, texts, photos and documents obtained by The Associated Press through 35 Freedom of Information requests to Capitol area law enforcement agencies.

Taken together, the materials shed new light on the sprawling patchwork of law enforcement agencies that tried to stop the riot and the lack of coordination and adequate planning that stymied their efforts.

"We were among the first mutual aid teams to arrive and were critical to begin the process of driving protestors off the Capitol," wrote Blunt.

Five people died in the insurrection, including a police officer.

Two other officers killed themselves after the attack.

There were hundreds of injuries and more than 300 people, including members of extremist groups Proud Boys and Oathkeepers, have been charged with federal crimes.

Federal agents are still investigating and hundreds more suspects are at large.

The Arlington firefighters ended up at the Capitol because, two days earlier, Washington Metro Police Chief Robert J.

Contee had formally asked the Arlington County Police Department to lend them some officers trained for protests and riots, according to the documents.

Arlington's acting police chief, Andy Penn, said they'd send help for the "planned and unplanned first amendment activities," according to emails.

At the time, the Capitol Police department had issued a security assessment warning that militia members, white supremacists and other extremists were heading to Washington to target Congress in what they saw as a "last stand" to support President Donald Trump.

Members of Congress, who were locked down or rushed to safety Jan. 6 as the attackers approached the House and Senate chambers, are holding hearings this week to get to the bottom of what went wrong with the law enforcement response that allowed the crowd to ransack the Capitol building.

One question they are looking to answer is why the Capitol Police didn't have more help on hand that day.

The emails obtained by the AP, hastily written and including misspellings and incomplete sentences — show that nearby police agencies were alerted two days earlier that there might be trouble and were prepared to help.

The night before the breach, after hours of rallies and speeches across the city, Federal Protective Service officers, who protect federal property, had noticed protesters trying to camp out on federal property, emailing that they were “being vigilant for any suspicious activity," according to an agency email.

The agents were particularly interested in the right wing extremist group, Proud Boys.

They noted how many were in Washington, that they were staying at a downtown hotel, and what they planned.

In a briefing at noon on that day, just as Trump was encouraging supporters to “fight like hell,” a Federal Protective Service email said about 300 Proud Boys were at the Capitol.

It warned, "The Proud Boys are threatening to shut down the water system in the downtown area which includes government facilities."

The email noted there was a man in a tree with what appeared to be a rifle near the Ellipse, and about 25,000 people were around the White House, some hiding bags in bushes outside the building.

"Together we stand!" the officer signed off.

As the White House rally was wrapping up, a protective service officer whose name was redacted sent an email to his peers: "POTUS is encouraging the protesters to march to capitol grounds and continue protesting there."

POTUS was a reference to Trump. Intelligence agents used Facebook to monitor dozens of protests planned for January 6 and beyond, according to emails.

Rallies included the "Yugest Trump Parade of All (45 Exclamation Points)!", "Fight for President Trump and Your Rights," and "Wild Protest for Donald Trump (The Republican Mandate)."

Some events were permitted, others were not.

Fairfax County, Virginia, officials were also closely monitoring the events on January 6, and realised their Washington counterparts needed help.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp