UN seeks $4.27 billion in appeal for war-ravaged Yemen

The conflict has in recent years become a regional proxy war that has killed more than 150,000 people, including over 14. 500 civilians.

Published: 16th March 2022 03:11 PM  |   Last Updated: 16th March 2022 03:11 PM   |  A+A-

Armed Houthi fighters attend the funeral procession of Houthi rebel fighters. ( Photo | AP)

Armed Houthi fighters attend the funeral procession of Houthi rebel fighters. ( Photo | AP)

By PTI

CAIRO: A United Nations appeal for Yemen Wednesday is aiming at raising USD 4.27 billion to alleviate what it describes as the world's worst humanitarian crisis, with 161,000 people likely to experience famine there in 2022.

The virtual pledging conference is co-hosted by Sweden and Switzerland. UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres will address donors on the dire needs of the Arab world's poorest country.

The conference comes as world attention is gripped by the war in Ukraine, which has overshadowed other humanitarian crisis across the world since the Russian invasion on Feb 24 — raising concerns that Yemen's plight may be forgotten.

Over 3 million people have fled Ukraine, which has seen Europe's heaviest fighting since World War II.

ALSO READ| War-torn Yemen threatened by mass starvation and famine: UN

Last year's conference raised only some USD 1.7 billion for Yemen, out of USD 3.85 billion the UN had appealed for as the coronavirus pandemic and its devastating consequences hit economies around the globe. The UN chief called the 2021 result "disappointing."

Yemen's war started in 2014 when the Iran-backed rebel Houthis seized the capital, Sanaa, and much of the country's north. A Saudi-led, US-backed coalition intervened months later to dislodge the rebels and restore the internationally recognized government.

The conflict has in recent years become a regional proxy war that has killed more than 150,000 people, including over 14. 500 civilians.

The war has also created the world's worst humanitarian crisis, leaving millions suffering from food and medical care shortages and pushing the country to the brink of famine. The majority of Yemen's around 32 million people live in Houthi-held areas.

ALSO READ: US Navy says Yemen rebels fired missile into busy Red Sea

The rebels have for years been implicated in aid theft and withholding for extortion. UN experts earlier this year said they documented that the rebels provided or denied humanitarian aid to families "solely on the basis whether their children participated in fighting or to teachers on the basis of whether they taught the Houthi curriculum."

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, or OCHA, has warned that a total of 19 million people are expected to face acute food insecurity by the second half of this year " an increase of around 20% compared to the first six months of 2021. Of them, 161,000 people are likely to experience famine," it said. OCHA said that half of the country's health facilities are shuttered or destroyed.

ALSO READ| UN: Yemen war escalating, 8 million could lose aid in March

It said the Yemeni currency, rial, lost 57% of its value in 2021 in government-run areas, while persistent fuel shortages drove up the prices of food and other basic commodities in the Houthi-controlled north

It said 4.3 million Yemenis have been driven from their homes; around one-fifth of newly displaced in 2021 were in the energy-rich province of Marib which Houthis have attempted to for over a year, it said.

With the USD 4.27 billion for Yemen, the UN aims to provide support to 17.3 million people in 2022, out of the 23.4 million who need aid, OCHA said.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp