● Caster sugar: 3/4 cup
● Melted butter: 1 cup
● Vanilla essence: 1 tsp
● Eggs: 3
● Flour: 2 cups
● Baking powder: 2 tsp
● Milk: Half cup plus 2 tbsp
● Cocoa powder: 4 tbsp
● Icing sugar to dust: 1 tbsp
● Vegetable oil for grease in baking tin
1. Preheat oven to 180° C. Brush a gugelhupf pan with melted butter to
2. Beat the caster sugar, melted butter till
it is smooth. Add egg yolks and mix in the flour and milk.
3. Use an electric beater to whisk the egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form. Gently and gradually fold the egg white into the cake mixture.
4. Pour half the cake mixture into the pan.
5. Combine cocoa and extra milk in a bowl. Stir into remaining cake mixture until combined. Spoon into pan. Use a round-bladed knife to fold together cake mixtures until marbled.
6. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Take out from oven and remove the cake from the tin once slightly cool. Dust with icing sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.