10 days after Raipur cattle transporter attack, lone survivor dies; no arrests yet

Ten days after an alleged mob attack in Raipur left two cattle transporters dead, the lone survivor succumbed to his injuries. Despite the severity of the incident, no arrests have been made yet.
Image used for representational purposes only.
Image used for representational purposes only.

RAIPUR: A 25-year-old man, who was critically injured in an alleged mob attack wherein two cattle transporters were killed earlier this month, died in a hospital on Tuesday, police said.

Two cattle transporters, Guddu Khan (35) and Chand Miya Khan (23) died under suspicious circumstances on June 7 after being allegedly chased by a mob in the Arnag police station area of Chhattisgarh's Raipur district. Saddam Qureshi was seriously injured and was hospitalized.

On Monday, Qureshi was shifted to the government-run DKS Super Specialty Hospital from Shri Balaji Super Specialty Hospital, a private medical facility in Raipur, where he had been on ventilator support since the incident. He died at the DKS Hospital on Tuesday, his cousin Shoheb Khan told PTI.

Raipur Additional Superintendent of Police (rural), Kirtan Rathore, confirmed that Qureshi died on Tuesday and said no arrest has been made in the case so far.

Image used for representational purposes only.
Protests erupt in Chhattisgarh over alleged mob lynching of two men transporting cattle, investigation delays

The three victims, hailing from Uttar Pradesh, were on June 7 found below a bridge on the Mahanadi River in the Arang area and their truck with buffaloes was found on the bridge. The Arang police then lodged an FIR against unidentified persons under Indian Penal Code sections 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), 307 (attempt to murder), and 34 (common intention).

As per the FIR, complainant Shoheb Khan claimed that Chand informed him over the phone that when the trio was heading in the cattle-laden truck from neighbouring Mahasamund district towards Arang, they were chased by some people on motorcycles and other vehicles. After a tyre of the truck burst, the persons chasing the victims started abusing and thrashing them, it said. Chand told Shoheb that he and his two other associates sustained injuries and were not in a position to walk, the FIR stated.

A 14-member special team headed by Raipur ASP Rathore has been formed to conduct a probe into the case and trace the accused.

Related Stories

No stories found.

The New Indian Express