RJ Suchitra removes viral video on Sathankulam custodial deaths, says cops threatened to arrest her

The RJ's video was one of the first posts shared on social media to highlight the alleged police brutality in Tamil Nadu and went viral, getting nationwide attention

Published: 11th July 2020 08:38 PM  |   Last Updated: 11th July 2020 08:50 PM   |  A+A-

Radio Jockey Suchitra

RJ Suchitra (Photo | Instagram)

By Online Desk

After garnering millions of views for a video about the alleged custodial deaths in Tamil Nadu's Thoothukudi, south Indian radio jockey Suchitra removed it as the CB-CID warned of legal action. 

The RJ's video was one of the first posts shared on social media to highlight the alleged police brutality in Tamil Nadu, that went viral, getting nationwide attention. 

In the video, she had explained in detail the sequence of events that led to the alleged murder of Jeyaraj and Beniks. 

The Thoothukudi district police had on Friday asked her to take the video down, saying the narration of the incident is "baseless" and "not truly indicative of the true happenings". 

ALSO READ: Sathankulam custodial deaths: 2 of the 5 cops arrested fall 'ill', admitted to hospital

The Tamil Nadu Crime Branch CID, in its statement released on Twitter, said, "She falsely exaggerated and sensationalized the chain of events and her allegations seem to be a figment of imagination and are not backed up by any proof."

They also appealed to the general public to  "not watch or share such videos."

Meanwhile, Suchitra said on Twitter that the CB-CID "threatened arrest for spreading fake news with intent to cause anarchy".

She added that the video was deleted on the advice of her lawyer "who said they are definitely capable of doing it."

The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has taken over the probe into the deaths of the father-son duo in Sathankulam.

ALSO READ: ‘The vehicle’s seats were soaked in blood’: Eyewitnesses say Thoothukudi traders who died in police custody were grievously injured

CBI officials are exepcted to visit Sathankulam police station, Kovilpatti sub-jail and Kovilpatti government hospital and begin their investigations, police sources said. As many as 10 policemen have been arrested in connection with the deaths.

Jeyaraj and his son Beniks had died within hours on June 22 and 23 respectively after alleged torture by Sathankulam police following their arrest on June 19 on charges of violation of prohibitory orders by keeping open their mobile phone outlet beyond the permitted business hours.

(With inputs from ENS)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp