Malayali palate has gone through several changes over the years --- from rice and curries to Indo-Chinese cuisine, people are now experimenting with Arabian flavours.
The recent food safety raids and seizure of stale items from eateries have triggered apprehensions among consumers and grumbles in the hospitality industry.
This comes after a 16-year-old girl recently died after consuming shawarma at a restaurant in Kerala.
Residents have complained about the traders who have been using chemicals such as ethylene ripeners, ethylene sprays, etc., to artificially ripen mangoes.
Devananda, the 16-year-old girl from Karivallor near Kasaragod, died at the Kanhangad district hospital last Sunday, while undergoing treatment for food poisoning.
Three students who consumed Shawarma swooned at their hostel rooms due to food poisoning and were admitted to Thanjavur Medical College Hospital for treatment.
Hotel assn has been asking govt to identify outlets without licence
On Monday, Health Minister Veena George asked the food safety commissioner to prepare a set of safety guidelines for shawarma joints.
Experts in the food industry and health officials say they have always warned the public about the ‘dangers’ of shawarma, especially during summer.
Unhygienic, undercooked or contaminated food and water can be a source of shigella, which can cause an intestinal infection that is very contagious, said the district medical officer (DMO).
Kerala Health Minister Veena George said directions have been issued to the Food Safety Commissioner to ensure neat and clean preparation of the dish for the customers.
As of Monday, eight persons are in intensive care units in Aster MIMS in Kannur, Government Medical College in Pariyaram, and Kasaragod District Hospital in Kanhangad.