Raju Francis watches as the search continues for his son Shijin, who went missing after a fishing boat capsized near Perumathura’s Muthalapozhi harbour mouth in Thiruvananthapuram  Photo | B P Deepu
Thiruvananthapuram

Kerala fisheries report hints at end to fishermen search

A report based on field inputs will detail search operations and recommend special government intervention to provide financial aid to affected families.

Shainu Mohan

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Twenty-two days into the search for fishermen who went missing after separate boat mishaps off the Thiruvananthapuram coast, the Fisheries Department is preparing a comprehensive report on the search operations for submission to the state government, even as the families allege that the ongoing efforts have become a mere formality.

The report, being compiled from field-level inputs, will document the search operations conducted so far and is expected to carry a recommendation for special government intervention to provide financial assistance to the affected families. The department has already received the report from its Muthalapozhi field office and is awaiting the report from Vizhinjam, which is expected by Saturday.

The search operations following the accidents at Muthalapozhi and Vizhinjam involved the Marine Enforcement Wing, Coastal Police, Indian Navy and Indian Coast Guard. Coast Guard helicopters and Dornier aircraft conducted aerial sorties, while local divers, professional Scuba teams and Navy divers searched underwater areas, including breakwaters, tetrapods and the estuary. Marine Enforcement and Coast Guard vessels also conducted surface patrols.

However, the families remain deeply dissatisfied with the manner in which the search was conducted.

Jiji John, daughter of John Mathias - a fisherman from Pulluvila near Vizhinjam who went missing at sea - alleged that the initial three days, which were considered crucial, were effectively lost, and that the search gained momentum only after the families raised the issue and the matter received media attention.

“The search after we raised the issue was effective. But now, what is being done is more like routine patrolling. There is no point in continuing something merely for the sake of showing that a search is happening,” said Jiji John.

Major fire breaks out at Hazelo Pharma in Telangana; two dead, eight injured

22 Indian seafarers reportedly safe after two vessels hijacked off Somalia, Gulf of Aden, says centre

Centre asks states to step up surveillance as H1N1 cases surge in Delhi, adjoining areas

Delhi Police files FIR over youth's pellet injuries from July 20 protest after Rahul Gandhi's dharna

Several detained as anti-reservation protesters gather at Jantar Mantar despite no police nod

SCROLL FOR NEXT