Vikas Barala. 
India

Chandigarh stalking case: Accused Vikas Barala's bail plea dismissed by district court

Haryana BJP chief Subhash Barala's son Vikas and his friend had been booked on charges of stalking and attempting to abduct a 29-year-old woman.

From our online archive

CHANDIGARH: A court here today dismissed the bail plea of Haryana BJP chief Subhash Barala's son Vikas and his friend Ashish Kumar who had been booked on charges of stalking and attempting to abduct a 29-year-old woman.     

The court of civil judge Barjinder Pal Singh dismissed the bail plea of both the accused who were arrested on August 9, defence counsel Ravindra Pandit said.     

The woman, daughter of a senior IAS officer, had accused Vikas (23) and Kumar (27) of stalking her.   

They were arrested on the intervening night of August 4 and 5 following her complaint but were released on bail as they had been booked under bailable sections of the Indian Penal Code and the Motor Vehicles Act.     

They were arrested again on August 9 after they joined police investigation and were then charged with attempted abduction under sections 365 and 511 of the IPC.     

The court had sent them to judicial custody till September 7 when appeared before the court on August 25.

The incident had triggered a nation-wide outrage and a spate of protests with people even holding a march in support of the victim and to raise awareness on women safety issue.

Trump says he's called off Iran strike planned for Tuesday at request of Gulf allies

Twisha Sharma death case: Bhopal Police announce Rs 10,000 reward for info on absconding husband

US Justice Department drops all charges against Adani, case closed permanently

Bengal govt to end aid for religion-based groups; 'Annapurna' scheme, free bus travel to benefit women

Sunetra Pawar likely to initiate NCP merger talks amid speculation over party reunification

SCROLL FOR NEXT