Protestors made an art in a demonstration against Citizenship Amendment Act and NRC at Shaheen Bagh in New Delhi. (File | PTI) 
India

Assam NRC: Government won't send excluded children to detention camps if parents are in final list

Government said the approved standard operating procedures for disposal of claims and objections had specific provision for children who got left out from the draft NRC.

From our online archive

NEW DELHI: The government has decided not to send to the detention centre, pending a final decision, the children who got excluded from the NRC in Assam but their parents are included, Lok Sabha was informed on Tuesday.

The Union Minister of State for Home, Nityananda Rai, said the approved standard operating procedures for disposal of claims and objections had specific provision for children who got left out from the draft NRC, while their parents had been included.

"Attorney General for India stated on January 6, 2020 before the Supreme Court that the children of parents included in NRC, Assam, will not be separated from their parents and sent to the detention centre in Assam pending decision on the application," he said in a written reply to a question.

The NRC exercise was carried out in Assam under the supervision of the Supreme Court and around 19 lakh people did not find themselves in the final list published in August 2019.

Centre forms panel to finalise 'permanent political solution' to Gorkha issue after Shah-led meeting

Newborn with congenital defect dies after MP hospital cradle warmer catches fire; two babies suffer burns

Stalin hits out at CM Vijay for treating Tamil Nadu Assembly like a 'cinema set'

Maharashtra: FIR filed against CJP convenor Dipke for allegedly trespassing into school, 'threatening' teachers

'Contrary to law': US judge strikes down Trump's 75-country visa ban

SCROLL FOR NEXT