For representational purposes 
Tamil Nadu

'Untouchability' wall in Tamil Nadu: Panel seeks action taken report

The Commission said it has so far not received any communication on the matter and requested that the ATR be furnished immediately.

PTI

COIMBATORE: The National Commission for Scheduled Caste has sought an action taken report (ATR) on the demolition of an 'untouchability wall' at Nadur in the district.

Also, the Commission sought action against the person for raising the wall and some officials.

In identical letters to the district Collector K Rajamani and district superintendent of police Arularasu, the Commission said a fringe outfit submitted another representation on February 2 for speedy action on its earlier petition forwarded in November last.

The Commission said it has so far not received any communication on the matter and requested that the ATR be furnished immediately.

Nadur near Mettupalayam was in the news in December 2019 following the death of 17 Dalits in the collapse of a 20-foot high wall of a house the owner of which was arrested and let on bail.

However, he constructed a higher wall which came to be called as the 'untouchability wall' by various organisations and political parties, and the fringe outfit demanded that it be razed down.

US imposes 50% tariffs on USD 20 billion worth of Canadian products; Carney vows to retaliate

BJP sets up Gen Z outreach team; Nitin Nabin, Smriti Irani, Vinod Tawde among key members

'What kind of self-reliant India is this?': Kharge slams Centre over sugar price hike, ethanol policy

Teenager, parents die after falling from Maharashtra hill amid iPhone EMI dispute

Major fire breaks out at Hazelo Pharma in Telangana; two dead, eight injured

SCROLL FOR NEXT